Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Fordyce's Sermons to Young Women, Sermon II, Page 28

"We [men] wish for a place in your hearts: why you not wish for one in our's?  But how much are you deceived, my fair friends, if you dream of taking that fort by storm!  When you show a solicitude to please by every decent, gentle, unaffected attraction we are soothed we are subdued we yield ourselves your willing captives.  But if at any time by a forward appearance you betray a confidence in your charms, and by throwing them out upon us all at once you seem resolved as it were to force our admiration..."

5 comments:

  1. I did a post specially for you. Hope you enjoy it!

    Be free to criticize my poor non-native English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! I love how hypocrisy is valued over natural behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder -- what was his personal and social life like? It would be like having Mr. Collins in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, Alexa, Fordyce is counseling honesty in romance. Re-read him. He's saying that women ought not use artifice, wile, false charm. He's telling us to despise hypocrisy, that is. Which is, I think, pretty good romantic advice. But I'm just a guy. A stooge like Mr. Collins, no Darcy I guess..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although a Mr. Darcy is easier to look at, I'm not altogether certain, aside from his riches, that there would be much else left of his personality to endear him to a female once the initial physical attractions fade. These so very rich men tend to be a little shallow when looking past the facades of reputation and money.

    ReplyDelete