Thursday, August 21, 2008

Chatsworth: The Great Dining Room

The most beautiful of the dining rooms at Chatsworth is also the least used. On the walking tour of the house, the dining room takes many visitors breath away but is used for little else. Upon entering the first thing everyone remarks upon is how incredibly large the room is. Baroque details appear in aspects such as the ceiling or picture frame but do not overwhelm. The walls have seen many colors through the years but are now a rich red which matches the carpet. The current duke and duchess picked this silk wallpaper out and I think it does well to emphasize the room's size and majesty. On the walls hangs part of the family's collection of portraits, including some Van Dycks. The light fixtures on the walls come from Devonshire House before it was demolished and now light room for its many visitors. Many yards of fabric drape the floor-length windows. In the center of the room sits the white marble fireplace, flanked by two classic statues. On the mantel sits a gilded mirror that captures the whole room so clearly you could mistake it for a window.

1 comment:

  1. I want to visit Chatsworth so badly!! The last time I was in the U.K., I was too young to appreciate all the history that I do now. Hopefully I'll get back over there someday and see that gorgeous place with my own eyes.

    ReplyDelete